Three (3) months prior to the civil union date, the partners should make a request for the publication of banns at the Marriage Registry Section. Partners are requested to contact a Marriage Registry officer by clicking on the following link
or by sending an email to email@example.com at least three (3) months before their marriage date. The email must contain a telephone number where the couple may be contacted.
A civil union may take place in the Marriage Registry Marriage Room, or at any other public place that has been approved beforehand by the Marriage Registrar.
The Marriage Registrar should be notified of the following:
- The place where the civil union will be held;
- The date of civil union;
- The surname that the partners after the civil union and the family name they will be adopting.
The partners should provide:
- Birth certificates (in case of applicants whose birth is not registered at the Malta Public Registry) apostilled or legalised as necessary (unless these are coming from the European Union);
- Identification documents and copies thereof;
- A photocopy of the identification documents of the witnesses;
- Other documents as required.
Five (5) days prior to the date, partners are to contact the Marriage Registry Section to confirm their civil union.
Those partners who are entering into a civil union in Gozo should apply for their civil union banns at the Marriage Registry in Victoria, Gozo.
The forms required are:
- Application for the purposes of Sec. 4.2 (a) of the Civil Unions Act, 2014; &
- Declaration for the purposes of Sec. 4.2 (a) of the Civil Unions Act, 2014
The Public Registry requires original documents for registration purposes. Documents presented to the Public Registry, are retained indefinitely in its archives. Public documents that are not in the English language must be translated into Maltese or English. In cases where one or several fields are in a language other than the English or Maltese language, a translation of these fields is necessary for processing the document. Further information can be obtained from the following LINK - Policy for the recognition of foreign public documents by Identità.
Press the “Book Now” button to
make an appointment.