Identity Cards Unit
Card reader device to interact with electronic identity cards and electronic residence cards
Note: The e-ID card reader software has recently changed!
Guide to installing the e-ID card reader software:
- Download the Installation Guide for Windows.
- Download the Installation Guide for macOS.
- Download the software required to interact with the e-ID card for Windows.
- Download the software required to interact with the e-ID card for macOS.
After a successful installation, use these how-to’s for digital signatures in Adobe Reader DC or signing a document in Microsoft Word if using an identity card to digitally sign documents.
Identità will not be held responsible for any problems resulting from the installation of drivers, software, the reader itself or other conflicts, on the user’s computer. Identità cannot provide in any manner, direct onsite or offsite support, on related hardware and software provided by the user. Users are hereby being advised to personally hire a professional, for the installation of the software and/or hardware. Identità will not be held responsible for compatibility issues with other software or hardware on the user’s computer.
Specifications for Card Reader
Smart Card Interfaces
Supports ISO14443-4 protocol, for use with new contactless ID cards
Supports ISO7816 T=1 protocols, for use with ID cards featuring a visible chip interface
Supports PC Smart Card industry standard – PC/SC 2.01
Supported operating systems are Windows 10 & 8.1, and macOS 10.14
Applying for Organisation's e-ID Account
- Make sure you have an active personal e-ID account.
- Install the required software as specified by the e-ID Reader Guide section on this page.
- Kindly note that the Register Organisation service formerly on mygov.mt has been migrated to https://subscribedservices.gov.mt.